Austria is one of the most LGBT+ friendly European countries, where LGBT+ individuals can enjoy the rights to be married, jointly adopt a child, or change their name or gender regardless of their nationality or citizenship. Under the temporary protection status, Ukrainians have a basic set of supporting services and rights, including the right to work, education, health insurance, and basic benefits.



Temporary Status

Under the EU Temporary Protection Directive, refugees from Ukraine can claim temporary protection in Austria and receive the residence permit "ID card for displaced persons".
For this purpose, they should register at the registration police offices (at police stations or in special reception or registration centres). With this temporary right of residence in Austria it is not necessary to apply for asylum. Information on the temporary right of residence for displaced persons from Ukraine can be found on the website of the BFA.

The Blue Card of the IDP is a document certifying this status (it also proves your right to stay, and it functions as an Identity Card for Displaced Persons). You must pass biometrics in order to receive a card. A card will be provided after several weeks.

Within three days of your arrival, you must apply for a residence permit at the magistrate in order to receive your proof of status. After that, register with the police at the location designated for registration, provide the required documents (a passport, a birth certificate, a marriage certificate, and other proofs of civil status are acceptable), complete the registration form, and provide biometrics (fingerprints - for everyone older than14 years old, digital photo - for everyone).

The right of residence lasts until 3 March 2023, and, , will be automatically extended by up to two times of 6 months, unless it is declared to have ended.
Temporary protection also ensures access to the labour market, education, and medical care.
People entering Austria due to armed conflict are not subject to COVID-19 entry restrictions (entry into Austria and pre-travel-clearance).

Financial Subsistence

Along with the status of Temporary Protection, you can apply for Basic Support.

If you live in state-provided housing:

  • On-site meals or food allowance of at least 5.50 euros per day;
  • Maximum 40 euros of pocket money per month;
  • Maximum 10 euros holiday allowance per month.

If you live in self-funded housing:

  • Subsidy for rental housing - up to 150 euros per month per person, but not more than 300 euros per family;
  • Meal allowance - up to 215 euros per month for an adult, 100 euros for a child;
  • Allowance for unaccompanied children (living with relatives or individuals in Vienna) no more than 215 euros per month.

The amounts may be increased.

Regardless of the type of accommodation, you will receive:

  • Assistance with clothing: as needed, maximum of 150 euros per year;
  • School supplies for students: as needed, no more than 200 euros per academic year;
  • Health insurance - you will be assigned an insurance number, which can be used to obtain an electronic card from the Austrian Health Insurance Fund;
  • Medical services - even if you do not yet have an insurance number or a document that replaces an electronic card, medical assistance is still guaranteed upon presentation of any Ukrainian documents;
  • Coverage of travel expenses for official calls and translations.

Basic assistance is provided for 4 months. If, after that period, you are unable to earn a living, you can apply for minimum income support.

Access to Healthcare

As of now, displaced persons from Ukraine can obtain treatment, prescriptions, and referrals from registered physicians without a social security number. In principle, health care is ensured within the framework of admission to basic care.
As proof of health insurance, you will be assigned an insurance number after registration – at the customer service points of the Austrian Health Insurance Fund (ÖGK). This can be used to issue an e-card replacement voucher.
Even if you do not yet have an insurance number and an e-card replacement voucher, you are still guaranteed medical care by presenting the appropriate proof (passport or other residence documents relating to Ukraine).
Further information on health insurance can be found on the homepage of the ÖGK.

With an insurance number, you can visit a doctor who works with an insurance company - a general practitioner, a dentist, a specialist you need, you can undergo a preventive examination (once a year - for people over 18 years old), as well as special examinations for women with children (these require a proof of identity of the mother and child). The insurance will cover medical care, home care, the purchase of necessary medicines, hospital stays, and so on. If you need a prescription drug, you will get a prescription free of charge. But keep in mind that if you consult with a private doctor, the charges will not be covered by your insurance.
Under the insurance, you have the right to be treated by a dentist (including a surgeon) and to be provided with a dental prosthesis, if your health will be significantly harmed without this treatment.
Young mothers and pregnant women who come to Austria are issued special pregnant women and mother and child passports. Pregnant women are entitled to five obstetric examinations and three ultrasounds.


If you need assistance (e.g. because you have no financial means or cannot be accommodated with relatives or acquaintances), you will be admitted to the basic care program of the Federal Government and the Federal Provinces. In addition to the provision of accommodation and food, you will also receive medical care (health insurance).
The Federal Provinces are also setting up so-called arrival centres, which serve as the first point of contact or orientation.

The Austrian authorities will then provide you with organised accommodation. Please note that you cannot select a region to settle in. If you want to stay with certain people, let the authorities know, it is possible to organise shared or at least neighbouring accommodation.
There are volunteer organisations that can help you find free accommodation in Austria with host families, like Homes for Ukraine or BBU (NOT VERIFIED).

Self-rental is possible. If you prefer to stay in private accommodation, you can receive basic care benefits such as rent and meal subsidies. In addition, refugees do not pay a residence tax.

EL*C has created a lesbian hosting network of individuals who have made their flats and spare rooms available for Ukrainian refugees. Please notice that EL*C can provide you with a temporary solution (up to a few months). Contact the relocation team at: +48 571 944 400 and

Access to Education

Pre-school education: a nursery is available for children aged up to 3 years. Kindergarten from 3 to 6 years old. From the age of 5, children need to attend school preparation centres.
In Vienna, parents can choose between public and private kindergartens, children's groups, nannies, and after-school groups. The City of Vienna subsidises the parental contribution, so all kindergartens in Vienna are free or significantly reduced in price. Food, extra-curricular or additional pedagogical services are paid for. The poor have the opportunity to apply for free meals in kindergartens. In order to receive a preferential place in a kindergarten in Vienna, you must have a permanent residence in Vienna and be registered in the city register of children.

School. All children permanently residing in Austria are required to complete nine years of general schooling. Children who turn 6 years old before or on September 1st must begin their education at the start of the new school year, i.e. in September of that year.

Each university has its own procedure for the submission and recognition of foreign documents. Students who fled from Ukraine are exempted from tuition fees for the summer semester, or a refund is issued. There are special programmes to support students, scientists, and cultural figures.


You can currently use the "Not-Ticket Ukraine" to travel free of charge on Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) trains throughout Austria. You can get the "Not-Ticket Ukraine" either directly on the train from the ÖBB staff or at the ÖBB ticket counters in the train stations. For this purpose, your name and passport number need to be scanned electronically, if possible.
In Vienna, you can use Wiener Linien public transport (metro, buses, trams) for free, you do not need to buy a ticket. If you are asked for a ticket, simply  present a passport or ID.

In addition, free travel is also offered by companies that are members of the public transport association of the Eastern Lands (VOR) - Vienna, Lower Austria, and Burgenland on their buses and trains, upon presentation of documents.

Employment Services

With an ID card for displaced persons and an employment permit, Ukrainians have access to the Austrian labour market. However, it is necessary to register at the Austrian Public Employment Service (AMS) with the ID card for displaced persons. There, your data concerning your education, your professional experience and competencies as well as other information about your person will be collected. The AMS will support you in finding a job and will then issue you with an employment permit with which you will be able to work. If you have already found a job in Austria, your future employer can also apply for an employment permit.

Further information is also available in Ukrainian on the homepage of the Austrian Public Employment Service (AMS).Furthermore, subsidies and active placements are provided by the AMS, and you can also take advantage of other AMS services such as counselling and German language courses.

Private job placement agencies (NOT VERIFIED):

Recognition of Same-Gender Couples and Same-Gender Parenthood

Same-sex marriage is legal since 2019. Austria also passed legislation allowing citizens to change legal gender in 2009, and since 2019, the country now officially recognises non-binary as a gender.

Foreign same-sex marriages are also permitted to be registered in Austria, which means people can also get married in Austria if they do not have Austrian citizenship or a place of residence in Austria.
Same-sex marriages celebrated in Austria are generally recognised by most other countries that allow gay marriage, and vice versa.
It is possible to register to get married at any registry office in Austria, but if neither of you is Austrian or does not reside in Austria, your marriage application must be filed at the main registrar’s office in Vienna.
N.B: The following documentation for both spouses is required to be presented when applying for a marriage license in Austria:

  • Certificate of No Impediment / Certificate of Freedom to Marry bearing the stamp apostille;
  • Proof of residence (council tax bill, driver's license, etc)
  • Full passport and photocopies;
  • Photocopies of the picture page of the passports for your two witnesses, listing their name, address and occupation;
  • Full Birth Certificate (showing mother’s and father's names), bearing the stamp apostille;
  • If you are divorced – Decree Absolute and previous Marriage Certificate;
  • If you are a widower – Death Certificate of your previous spouse and previous Marriage Certificate;
  • Name Change Deed Poll Certificate – if applicable;
  • Adoption Certificate – if applicable.

Additionally, there are anti-discrimination safeguards in place in Austria based on sexual orientation. Since 2016, aggravated sanctions have been applied to hate speech and offenses against victims on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Lesbian couples can access both artificial insemination and IVF treatments in Austria.
Since 2015 full joint adoption is legalised in Austria.

Legal Gender Recognition

In Austria, transgender people are legally allowed to change their names and gender so they match their gender identity. As of 2018, intersex people are able to have their gender changed to "inter", "other", "X", or simply leave it blank on their birth certificate.
In Austria, the minimum age requirement for sex reassignment surgery is 18.

Local Support
LGBT+ organisations

Türkis Rosa Lila Villa is the community centre for lesbians, gays, and trans people in Vienna. The Villa is a place for consultation and communication as well as mutual encouragement and support for LGBTIQ people by LGBTIQ people.

Queer Base offers regular consultation sessions, open to everyone, which address issues relating to asylum and LGBTIQ. They offer counselling related to legal matters, social aspects, and coming out as well as networking with the community and support for medical and psychological concerns. Together with Diakonie Lares and Tralalobe, they arrange housing for LGBTIQ refugees.
Phone: 00436646594171
Address: Linke Wienzeile 102, 1060 Wien

Heumühlgasse 14/1, 1040 Vienna
Phone/Fax: +43 1 216 66 04
Mobile: +43660 2166605

Organisations helping Ukrainians

The Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF) is a foundation of the Republic of Austria and a partner of the federal government as well as of numerous responsible bodies in the field of integration and migration in Austria. It advises refugees and immigrants during their integration process in all nine provincial capitals and at numerous mobile counselling centres throughout Austria.

Austrian Red Cross ('Österreichisches Rotes Kreuz') – Migration and Tracing Service
Asylum seekers, refugees and migrants receive assistance and support measures, e.g., help with family reunification etc.

Caritas Austria – Assistance for migrants
Assistance in finding work and housing, educational measures, counselling for migrants, etc.


Animals are allowed to enter without documents, identification or vaccination. Any necessary veterinary measures, such as rabies vaccination and subsequent isolation, will be determined and ordered after entry.
Contact the State Ministry of Health:
Support for animals in Austria is provided by Tierschutz Austria.