Poland is the neighboring country that has already accepted more than 3 mln Ukrainians fleeing from the war. It has the most diverse and capable infrastructure to assist displaced people from Ukraine, there is no language issue as all the information is available in Ukrainian and Polish authorities and volunteers are often engaging interpreters to ease the integration processes. However, the status of LGBTQ rights in Poland is the worst among European Union countries (according to the report of ILGA-Europe in 2021).



Temporary Status

According to the EU Temporary Protection Directive Poland has granted temporary protection to those displaced from Ukraine as a result of the country's crisis, according to the EU Temporary Protection Directive.

Ukrainian citizens who left their homeland as a result of Russian aggression are able to legally stay in Poland for 18 months starting from 24 February 2022.

There is also a pathway for further legalization of the residence of Ukrainian citizens who fled the war. Persons whose stay on the territory of Poland is or was considered legal will be granted a temporary residence permit. It will be granted for a one-off period of 3 years, starting from the date of the decision.

An application for a temporary residence permit, a citizen of Ukraine shall submit no earlier than after 9 months from the date of entry and no later than within 18 months from 24 February 2022. An application submitted before the expiry of 9 months from the date of entry will not be considered by the voivod.

All primary legalization procedures are unified and reduced to one process (with related actions) - obtaining a special PESEL number. PESEL number includes:

  • date of birth
  • tax number
  • gender designation
  • reference number

PESEL registration is carried out by commune administrations. To find the address of the nearest office, follow the link and enter the address of your current stay.

Then you need to prepare the documents:

  • Application for granting a PESEL number to a citizen of Ukraine in connection with an armed conflict:
    The application form can also be obtained from the commune administration.
  • A document confirming the person indicated in the application. If there is no such document, then signing a statement by you is legally equivalent to the statement that your data is correct.
    Data stated in the statement:
    • Name and surname,
    • date and place of birth,
    • country of birth and citizenship,
    • date of entry into Poland,
    • Ukrainian identification number - if any.
    • In case of filling in the application on behalf of a minor (child under 18 years of age), it is necessary to indicate the data of the parents and/or the person who takes care of the child.
    • Color photo size 35 x 45 mm.

NB. You will be fingerprinted when applying.

Financial Subsistence

One-time allowance for the adaptation of Ukrainians is introduced in the amount of PLN 300 for each family member. The allowance is provided upon application to the local administration. Should be issued to all applicants without consideration.

Ukrainians can be entitled to many social benefits, including 500+ (PLN 500 per child per month: approximately EUR 106), 300+ (PLN 300 per child per year for school supplies approximately EUR 63), family care support (for every second and subsequent child aged 12 to 36 months, to the maximum amount of PLN 12 000 per child: approximately EUR 2 553), nursery school subsidies, family benefits and social assistance.

Access to Healthcare

Every citizen of Ukraine legally residing in Poland is guaranteed access to the public health care system on the same basis as Polish citizens.

Following services are provided within the framework of the state health protection free of charge:

  • basic medical care,
  • specialized outpatient assistance,
  • diagnostics prescribed by a doctor,
  • hospital access,
  • psychiatric support,
  • rehabilitation (excl. resorts),
  • dental services.
What do you need to do to get medical help?

To use all of the above-mentioned services you have to present a document confirming the date of the crossing of the Polish border not earlier than February 24, 2022.
For all of the additional questions, call 800 190 590

Here is additional information on the available medical care in Poland
Information for the oncological patients from Ukraine

LGBT+ specifics.

The majority of people are covered by state health insurance. However, the healthcare available is not particularly inclusive of LGBTQ+ people. The university curriculum for health professionals usually doesn’t cover LGBTQ+ topics. While some NGOs are working on further educating health professionals in this regard, many doctors don’t know about health issues specific to sexual orientation and gender identity. They tend to assume all their patients are straight and cisgender. There is a particular lack of expertise and services in regard to trans issues. Many trans people have to resort to self-medicating. Gender reassignment surgeries, as well as hormone replacement therapy, also have to be covered financially by the individuals.


When just arrived in Poland and without a place to live - please check government-approved housing options here.

EL*C has created a lesbian hosting network of individuals that made available their apartments and spare rooms for Ukranian refugees. Please note that EL*C can provide you with a temporary solution (up to a few months). Contact the relocation team at: +48 571 944 400 and info@lesbiangenius.org.

Other organisations providing help with housing (please note that these contacts are not verified by us):

Access to Education

Ukrainian citizens will have access to social assistance, parental benefit, family benefits, or funding to reduce the fee paid by the parent for the stay of a child in a crèche, children's club or day-care center.

Primary and Secondary Education

According to the 12 March 2022 act, access to pre-primary and compulsory education is free and open to all Ukrainian children up to the age of 18, regardless of the legal basis of the pupil’s stay in Poland.
Additional preparatory classes are being organized for incoming Ukrainian students in grades 1-8 and in secondary schools, textbooks on teaching Polish as a foreign language are being provided as well.

Higher Education

As part of the government program "Solidarity with Ukraine", from March to September 2022, higher education students and doctoral students will be able to continue their studies in Poland and conduct work related to dissertations. The National Agency for Academic Exchange will be in charge of this program. In addition, the government is waiving the fee for the process of recognition of their level of education in Poland.


People fleeing war in Ukraine can use free travel on trains. These are the 2nd PKP Intercity class, TLK and IC economy class, and regional carriers.

The following categories can use free train travel:

  • children and adolescents under 18,
  • women,
  • men over 60,
  • men aged 18-60 who are disabled or have a disability.

Additionally, persons with a Ukrainian identity document can travel by Warsaw public transport for free.

Employment Services
Access to the labor market

Access to the Polish labor market for Ukrainian citizens is guaranteed. In order to use this solution, an employer will have to notify, via the praca.gov.pl portal, the competent labor office within 14 days about employing a foreigner.

Ukrainian citizens will also be able to benefit from labor market services in the form of, inter alia, job placement, vocational counseling, and training - on the same principles as Polish citizens

Economic activity

Ukrainian citizens will be able to undertake and carry out economic activity on the territory of Poland on the same principles as Polish citizens, provided that they obtain a PESEL number.

Recognition of Same-Gender Couples and Same-Gender Parenthood

There is no legal recognition of same-sex couples in Poland, though cohabiting same-sex couples do enjoy certain limited benefits, namely in the tenancy of a shared household, the right not to testify against the partner, and residency rights under EU law.

There are no particular legal measures supporting the immigration of same-sex couples. Same-sex partners cannot gain dependant status since same-sex partnerships are not recognized by law (as non-marriage relationships in general) (in case one of the couple is not Ukrainian and is outside the purview of the EU Temporary Protection Directive).

Same-sex couples are unable to legally adopt in Poland. Furthermore, lesbian couples do not have access to IVF.

Legal Gender Recognition

There is no clear law providing for legal gender change. Court practice establishes that trans people can change their name and legal gender through a court ruling. All legal documents can be amended to show gender as "male" or "female", except for extended birth certificates, which can only be annotated. Additionally, the person cannot be married. The court ruling can be used as a legal ground for justifying legal name change when filing an application for a name change to the Head of the Registry Office. There is no legal gender marker option other than "male" or "female".

Local Support

EL*C is present at the border, providing safe housing for those crossing and relocation in European countries. To get help, contact EL*C emergency line at this number +48 571 944 400.


Here is information on various organizations across Poland providing help and assistance to the Ukrainian LGBT+ fleeing the war
Free legal aid
Fundacja Trans-Fuzja


Interactive map with help available in Poland (NOT VERIFIED)
FAQ for Ukrainians (with children) coming to Poland

There are 4 city centers of information assistance for Ukrainian citizens in Warsaw. They help with food, clothing, housing, and employment.

  • Centrum Wielokulturowe w Warszawie na Pradze-Północ (ul. Jagiellońska 54, tel. +48 22 648 11 11 or +48 604 932 969).
  • Pałac Kultury i Nauki Warszawa (entrance from Dworca Centralnego, nr tel. +48 22 656 64 63).
  • Dworzec Wschodni (ul. Kijowska 20, main hall).
  • Dworzec Zachodni (al. Jerozolimskie 142).

Help in Gdansk

UA POMOC (housing, food, medicine, transport, etc.)


Refugees from Ukraine are allowed to take up to five pets with them when they flee, with Polish and other EU border guards waiving the usual restrictions.

This includes derogations on chip identification, valid rabies vaccination, titration results for antibodies against rabies, and health certificates issued by a vet.

Animals will be vaccinated after crossing the Polish side of the border.